Monday, May 31, 2010

He changed my life! :D

Before going home, I used to stop by at a bookstore in my station back in Japan. I felt like all the books there always give me inspirations. One evening the book by Makoto (Mako) Nagasawa was calling me from the bookshelf. I picked up the book and opened it. The book was filled with his colorful travel illustrations and writings by his wife. I thought his life is just ideal: traveling all over the world and publishing books. 
A picture arrived from Mako with my relax and feel good mug ;D 
Notice his dynamic watercolor paintings behind him!

Several months later, I saw a poster in the train about his book signing event but sadly the event was already over. My father is a cinematographer and my mother used to design clothes so I grew up in an artistic family but I had never taken any drawing or painting classes. My desire to learn those skills started to grow. I visited all the "culture centers" in Tokyo and Yokohama to see if there are any interesting art classes. (If you imagine an afterschool for adults, that is a "culture center" in Japan.)
One evening amazingly I found Mako's watercolor & drawing course in Yokohama culture center!! This was his first time to teach there. I still remember how excited I was to find his class there! It was my destiny! :D I took the 3 months course then he became my mentor :D As his assistant, I travelled Venezia, Toscana, Positano, Amalfi and all around Japan together!


(The picture above is taken by me in Venezia ;D) I was so happy traveling and making art with him ;D Mako used to live in New York City and showed me his numerous drawings and watercolor paintings, which made me want to go to New York City even after the September 11th! To me, New York seems to be a perfectly crazy place where I can be myself and feel at home ;D
The big inspiration to move to New York City was from Mako and he changed my life wonderfully!

Mako, Thank YOU soooo much for your Huge Love, Encouragement, Inspiration, Support and Guidance as always!!

No comments:

Post a Comment