Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Typo Genius Mike Perry!!


I went to Mike Perry's website for inspiration today because I was working on designs for a packaging design competition in Japan and guess what I found! The opening!! Tonight!!! I HAVE to go :D It meant to be!!
I dressed up all in pink like his colorful artworks and took subway downtown to the cool store+gallery Giant Robot New York!There were already happy people having fun inside and Jimmy, the cheerful store manager, was taking many pictures. This was the first time for me to see Mike Perry's original artworks. I was excited to feel his energy from each piece. You can see all his pen strokes and imagine what he was thinking when he was drawing this or that one... Mike was such a gentle sweet person. I told him that I was working on soba packaging designs before I came here and now I am more interested in typography. He said, "You can do it!" The words from the Typo Master gave me such a strength and power!! :D

Thank YOU sooo much, Jimmy, for taking this picture! Plus you posted it on your GRNY website, top of the page!! Wow!! :D I look super happy :P
Now I have Mike Perry's book "Hand Job" with his signature!! Woohooo!! "What a clever name!!" Mike says, "It had to sell" :D Big success, Mike! I bought one ;P
I LOVE the printing ink smell and this book smells delicious~! When I was little, I used to smell my mother's book collection, Chagall, Van Gogh, Picasso, etc, I didn't know their names but I liked their paintings and the smell :P

No comments:

Post a Comment